Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Istanbul, Pt. 1

Ehh???


Well, this has been a really great trip. I've been in Istanbul, which is bafflingly large and populous to me since I'm native to Maine (US), where the biggest city is roughly 64,000 people. Lots of wonderful food and friendly people live here, I've seen more ancient things than I can count, and so far I've done nothing extremely embarrassing. I know a minimal number of Turkish words and phrases, though that hasn't been a problem, even in the less touristy areas I've been where most people I've run into don't seem to know much English. Also, in the more touristy areas, like the Golden Horn and Sultanahmet, I've been pretending to be a Spanish tourist (using the lispy accent, etc) to deflect dudes from trying to sell me street food or getting me to visit their restaurants, but my sister tells me that A) The people around those areas speak multiple languages, given the need to cater to various tourists from other European countries and, B) I'm obviously an American. Oh well. Well, more to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh yeah??