Monday, July 11, 2011

Heavier than Your Favorite Band



Special thanks to Crustcake for hosting this here image (which could very possibly be from an Insect Warfare show, for all I know).

Considering how long I've had this puppy going, it's downright shocking I've never posted about Hatred Surge, who I just love. Starting as a one-man (I don't know if that's actually true, I just heard that) powerviolence project helmed by Alex Hughes (above, bass, ex-Insect Warfare (?)), 'Surge pumped out a load of splits and eps, a stunning full-length and is currently riding on the recent release of a split with another Texas group I enjoy and admire, Mammoth Grinder.



During this time there have been line-up changes, notably with vocalists. Currently, Rahi, the former vocalist of the now defunct (you guessed it) Insect Warfare is on board, which has introduced a whole new level of throat-scraping lows and sent the band somewhere into the neighborhood of unabashed death grind.



That being said, as much as I love the current incarnation of the band, I do miss their prior vocalist, too.




Considering how much this band has changed since it began, it's great how no matter what release you pick up, you will still probably want to punch a wall when you're listening. Pick this shit up and support these amazing, independent musicians. KILL!

Mammoth Grinder Split 12" from Cyclopean Records
Mammoth Grinder Split 12" BANDCAMP - preview
EP 2005 download (thanks to Fugitive Equilibrium)
Hatred Surge myspace

-W.F.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh yeah??