Monday, July 4, 2011

Nationalism is Bullshit, only Tech Death is Real

I think I've exceeded even my own worst fears as to how much Xbox I can play. Luckily I've cut that with some outdoors time and drumming. I've been playing since I was eighteen but going to school out of state really derailed an even development of skills. Right now I'm working on limb separation, which in my case entails keeping a steady beat on the snare and the kick drum and playing something else in a different subdivision with the free hand. The best example that comes to mind is your standard thrash beat, where whomever plays 8ths or whichever on the hi-hats or ride while keeping a consistent beat on the snare and kick. It's a permutation of the punk beat. Yeah, I suck at that. Here's a great example from the guy from Torture Division, starting roughly around the 0:20 mark.





Yeahhh!! Non-stop, lightning blastbeats are cool, too but as far as I'm concerned, nothing tops laying down a steady beat like Dave Lombardo when you want to propel a song forward.


Moving on...

Here's a quality album, with an unlikely pedigree.



Fractured is the 2004 full-length of the Floridian Technical Death Metal band Capharnaum. Bare with me. This band is headed by Jason Suecof, who is better known as the go-to producer for a load of awful bands and his brother. Please continue to bare with me here. This album features the vocals (and some guitar licks?) of the guy from (yccccccccchhh) Trivium. If that has turned you away, please reconsider.

This doesn't sound like how you imagine it. Fractured is a tight, catchy and extremely well-written album. It was produced by Jason Suecof himself, apparently safely before the major metalcore boom years and sounds completely gorgeous and organic. This is definitely helped by a mastering job at the one and only Morrisound. This also features Daniel Mongrain from Martyr.

This has stood the test of time for me. Say what you want about the awful, awful bands that Jason Suecof has produced for but the riffs are incredible and instantly memorable, Matt Heafy's vocals are OKAY (and he isn't on every song), and it features completely colossal drumming --indeed, some of my favorite fills ever. I can't even recommend this enough. It's just so fucking good. Many (most??) tech death albums are throwaways that seem to take no consideration with songwriting and seem to blast by with nothing substantive to hold onto -- when I hear Decrepit Birth or Necrophagist, to me it feels like a totally empty experience. This, however, THIS is significant.

Listen to this shit.


I, again, highly recommend this.

Here's a link.
Support artists?


Peace

-W.F.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh yeah??