Friday, February 10, 2012

Power Electronics, Cute Cat Comics

Well, first, my friend showed me this great online comic called Cat versus Human. I'm not exactly a "cat person," (and I'm allergic) but it's both cute and funny. I like the artist's style of illustration a lot. I don't really have any to segue to the next thing I have in store. Errm.

Here's something from Slays For Days that you might be into.


Disgust - Where Angels Fear to Tread


Disgust is a power electronics group featuring a gentleman named Mack Chami, who is better known for another project, Koufar, which is a Rightist/Lebanese Nationalist/Maronite Christian project, according to Last Fm. All of this is extremely interesting. While I had always suspected there were/are Lebanese groups that followed that political ideology, Koufar is the first I've ever actually seen. However, this post isn't really about Koufar and this is a major digression on my part.
(Wikipedia -- Politics of Lebanon)

Disgust uses some Christian imagery but is from the looks of it wholly distinct from Koufar. Instead, if its intent can be gleaned from its use of soundclips and moments where the lyrics are actually intelligible, Disgust seems to center more around extreme nihilism, hate and disgust, appropriately.

From the sounds of it, they went with the tried and true method of setting up microphones and completely overloading them to the point of clipping with deafening, amplified squalls of sound, and layering these with tortured screams, samples, and who knows what else. Like feeling happy? Where Angels Fear to Tread will completely suck the joy out of your day. I finished listening straight through the album to find my mood had been negatively affected. That could be you. It's one thing to dabble in formless, atonal, horrific noise, as some bands will do. A whole album's worth is just draining and hard to sit through. In other words, if you're not into scary noise in the first place, this may not be the album to start off on but, uhhhh, here you go.

If you're looking for some visceral, stirring music, look no further.

Yikes

Official bloggo

-W.F.

Postscript

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh yeah??