Thursday, November 24, 2011

Alternate Histories

(Yes, that is Dan Seagrave's doing)


Crappy Thanksgiving, America. As much as I would have liked to be current with Sweden's Death Metal explosion, I wasn't even a year old when Nihilist put out the Drowned demo. I've spent a lot of time gazing back and I have (and still do, typically) operate under a lot of safe assumptions/general understandings about certain times and certain places and how extreme metal evolved in these categories (earlier -- later, Stockholm -- Gothenburg, Sunlight -- Abyss, for some examples).

Until a few days ago I did not know shit about Seance, who have been around since 1990 and who absolutely defy my expectations for Swede Death from that time. Part of me always assumed there would be exceptions to the rule and here you go. Musically speaking they've got more in common with Suffocation and Deicide than any Swedish contemporaries. I've so far listened to Forever Laid to Rest, which is what I've stuck at the bottom of the post. This came out in 1992 and it is very good. Again, something I didn't expect for this time. Check it!





Out of here. Maybe tomorrow you might consider driving to a mall to see the darkest side of humanity, fighting for tablets and 3-D TVs.

Reincarnage


The only relevant official link I could find was to their Myspace. If you like Forever Laid to Rest a lot, I guess you can shoot them a message, in case they still check theirs.

-W.F.

2 comments:

  1. Two guys from Seance play in Witchery now.

    Just did a TBO post that's sort of a response to some shit you wrote on Noktorn's "Reboot of Black Metal Aesthetics" post. It seems like this is the first time we've disagreed about something black metal! And the disagreement served as a point of departure to talk about some of my own ideas. Just know I'm not trying to rip on you or anything, and you're more than welcome to respond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never listened to Witchery either. Next on the list!

    Yeah, I saw that! I actually liked that a lot! My response is up there. The whole "Reboot..." series has generated some really good discussion

    ReplyDelete

Oh yeah??