Friday, November 11, 2011

Quandarousness

So, I get Terrorizer on my iPod. I like Terrorizer a lot and I was really excited when I figured I could get issues thusly. This might be harkening the end of printed media but whatever. That said, I don't know what bothers me more: how this month there was a huge feature on Slipknot (who are described as having "changed the metal world," or something equally, nakedly misleading or misconceived as that assertion) or the sheer volume of folk metal coverage. And that speaks to a quandary I'm having -- I feel like I can't objectively look at folk metal (e.g. Turisas, Finntroll, or...eughhh, Alestorm), all of it just seems like gimmicky, wishy-washy bullshit to me. Now, don't get me wrong, I love the sheer boyish enthusiasm and adventurousness of classic heavy metal and I can kind of see traces of that in the aforementioned bands but...uhhhhhhh I think they suck and I can't seem to force myself to appreciate them in the slightest. That's all.

W.F.

2 comments:

  1. I find Slipknot to be repugnant, certainly, and although I haven't read said article, I feel like they certainly made being "heavy" more acceptable (hard to tell, though, considering the nature of radio "metal"). Have to agree with you about folk metal, most definitely. The shit's unbearable to the Nth degree. Alestorm, I think, is the pinnacle of aggravating gimmick nonsense. Although if a band were to adopt a pirate theme that were based on actual pirates and not just some Jack Sparrow jocking dogshit, that might be a little more interesting (but still totally horrible.) It seems like Pirate Metal is an extension of inane garbage like Celtic Punk and things of that ilk. Boo to all that noise. If this means I am an enemy of fun, so be it. Grandpa Metal 4 LYFE.

    ReplyDelete

Oh yeah??