Friday, January 27, 2012

Naw, Dude

First, here's three brief reviews of movies I hate

I Love You, Man (Dreamworks, 2009)
Two of my favorite comedic actors, Paul Rudd and Jason Segel, star two annoying idiots who spend their time together doing incredibly unfunny things. The highlight of the film is when John Favreau is vomited on -- had I known that during my first watch, I wouldn't have sat through the next hour or so left.

Away We Go (Focus Features, 2009)
Jim from "The Office," and Maya Rudolph very boringly search for a new home, traveling to different locales to meet characters with even less depth than theirs. No laughter. No emotional reactions elicited, period.

Me and You and Everyone We Know (2005)
With a painfully conceited and self-conscious flourish, Miranda July (writer, director, lead actress) attempts to savagely beat her viewers with a Quirky Stick, just in case Garden State flew a little too low under the radar for you ("Check out my profound performance art!"). Also starring, an ensemble of emotionally dead caricatures, which are supposed to represent human beings.



So, speaking of being tortured through art, I present Gnaw from New York. I don't know much about the band, other than that they feature the vocal talents of the guy from Khanate, and that their sound could be described as harsh, heavy, caterwauling noise. If you like Khanate, Neurosis' more industrial moments, Laudanum, or any other equally hideous sounding band, you'll be all over this, because this is completely unsettling and disgusting filth.




Everybody is fucking but you

Conspiracy Records

-W.F.

2 comments:

  1. so i am HUGELY biased against any project even loosely related to Sunn0))), but this is pretty fucking SICK! didn't realize it was going down in New York. i like how the drone and the noise come together into what's basically just a sick industrial metal song like nothing i've heard. gotta see these guys play now, if i can...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh great! I'm pleased, then, that I found something that you might not have initially checked out. Yeah, this is just chilling. So cool!

    ReplyDelete

Oh yeah??